We are humans capable of human emotion – happiness, love, excitement, and sadness. Although it’s one of the common emotions that we have, sadness isn’t openly talked about with friends or with family. Emotions just can’t be dealt with simply.
Some others have their outlets and others seek comfort in words and motivating quotes. When you think life is giving you lemon and making lemonades is just not possible at the moment, let it sit for a while. Take a breather and re-focus your view. Take a look at some of these motivational quotes for when you’re feeling extra emotional.
Sad Quotes for the soul
We have collected some quotes to remind you that you’re not alone and whatever you’re feeling right now is also felt by other people around the globe.
Table of Contents
- Short Sad Quotes
- Sad quotes about pain
- Sad quotes about love and pain
- Sad quotes for him
- Sad quotes about relationships
- Sad quotes about friends
- Sad quotes to help you through the bad days
Short sad quotes
Sadness, a state of emotion. It is a normal feeling and we all have been sad at one point of our lives. There are times that it can be overbearing but nothing is unbeatable. Here are a compiled list of some of some of the sad quotes to help you overcome whatever you’re feeling right now.
You are not the only who have been sad, everyone feels it.
- You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness. – Jonathan Safran Foer
- People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.
- As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong. – Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden
- Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. – Margaret Mitchell
- Sometimes you’ve got to be able to listen to yourself and be okay with no one else understanding.
- One thing you can’t hide — is when you’re crippled inside. – John Lennon
- Sadness is but a wall between two gardens. – Kahlil Gibran
- Tears are words that need to be written. – Paulo Coelho
- He taught me how to love, but not how to stop.
- Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever. – Mattie Stepanek
- A broken heart is the worst. It’s like having broken ribs. Nobody can see it, but it hurts every time you breathe.
- Every heart has a pain. Only the way of expressing it is different. Fools hide it in eyes, while the brilliant hide it in their smile.
- A teardrop is insignificant in a pool of water, but it can touch the soul as it runs down someone’s face.
- I wish I had the guts to walk away and forget about what we had, but I can’t because I know you won’t come after me & that’s what hurts the most.
- A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.
- Love is hard to find, hard to keep, and hard to forget.
Sad Quotes about pain
Pain causes sadness. Talking about it is heartbreaking and it’s difficult to express your painful experience to others. We understand that and instead of talking about it, we have here some quotes that you can probably relate to.
- Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard. – David Levithan, Love is the Higher Law
- Tears come from the heart and not from the brain. – Leonardo da Vinci
- Just because we can’t be together doesn’t mean I don’t love you.
- To make one person the center of your world is bound to end in disaster. There are too many factors outside your control.
- I wore your promise on my finger for one year
I’ll wear your name on my heart til I die
Because you were my boy, you were my only boy forever.
- Maybe I was destined to forever fall in love with people I couldn’t have. Maybe there’s a whole assortment of impossible people waiting for me to find them. Waiting to make me feel the same impossibility over and over again.
- To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing. – Dorothy Thompson
- It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses. – George Eliot
- We must understand that sadness is an ocean, and sometimes we drown, while other days we are forced to swim. – R.M. Drake
- Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative you can get beyond your pain or negativity. – Yoko Ono
- When you’re happy you enjoy the music, but when you’re sad you understand the lyrics. – Frank Ocean
- It’s funny how we feel so much but we cannot say a word. We are screaming inside, but we can’t be heard. – Sarah McLachlan
- The heart was made to be broken. – Oscar Wilde
- Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart. – Jose N. Harris
- All cold and distant people have a reason for hiding their true selves. If they open up to you just a little, you could see how much pain and love they’ve hidden for so long.
- One of the most difficult tasks in life is removing someone from your heart.
- There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief. – Aeschylus
- Not all wounds are visible.
- After great pain, a formal feeling comes. The nerves sit ceremonious, like tombs. – Emily Dickinson
- Even pain pricks to livelier living. – Amy Lowell
- For we are born in other’s pain, and perish in our own.
– Francis Thompson
- To him, freedom was greater than love.
She hated that.
Because she had always thought that love was freedom.
Sad quotes about love and pain
Here’s a collection of inspirational, wise, and painful sayings that you can relate to. Even when you’re hurt, you still love and that makes you a strong person. Don’t stop feeling the pain for it will help become stronger and will help you become a fighter.
Check out these relatable quotes.
- Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water. – Christopher Morley
- Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. – Normal Cousins
- What brings us to tears, will lead us to grace. Our pain is never wasted. – Bob Goff
- Sometimes it takes sadness to know happiness, noise to appreciate silence and absence to value presence.
- Sometimes you laugh because you’ve got no more room for crying.- Terry Pratchett
- I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. – Mother Teresa
- It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love. – Miguel de Unamuno
- When you think your first falling in love, just then you realize your falling out of love.
- A marriage is no amusement but a solemn act, and generally a sad one. – Queen Victoria
- It hurts to leave a light on for nobody. – Graham Foust
- You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to things you don’t want to feel. – Johny Depp
- It hurts when you’ve being ignored by the person whose attention is the only thing you want in the world.
- Love is the most beautiful of dreams and the worst of nightmares. – Aman Jassal
- So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love. – E.A. Bucchianeri
- The worst feeling in the world is knowing you’ve done everything you can to show someone you love them, and yet they still choose someone else over you. – Bernajoy Vaal
- A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along. – J.S.B. Morse
- Having your heart broken is a different type of pain than breaking someone’s heart. While guilt is heavier, grief is more alienating. As victims of someone else’s mistakes, it is harder to accept the pain inflicted on us.
- Among my stillness was a pounding heart. –
- When the person you love can’t see your love for them beneath the painful things you say when they reject you, remember this: Love is blind.
- Every night, I laid awake with your memories flooding through my eyes with the hope to be with you when sleep arrived.
- Love cannot pain, desire can. ―
Sad quotes for him
Do you know someone who needs a shoulder to cry on, comforting words to lean to, and some compassion? Don’t worry. We have a list of sad quotes you can give to your friend, to your love one, or to whomever who needs it.
- A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.
- I tried to forget you, but the harder I tried, the more I thought about you.
- The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain.
- When you are in love and you get hurt, it’s like a cut. It will heal, but there will always be a scar.
- It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew. – Henry Rollins
- There is one pain, I often feel, which you will never know. It’s caused by the absence of you. – Ashleigh Brilliant
- Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story. – Faraaz Kazi
- It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces. – Ella Harper
- The beginning and the decline of love are both marked by the embarrassment the lovers feel to be alone together. – Jean de La Bruyere
- Losing someone hurts but if you truly love them you should let them go, one day you’ll be reunited.
- It still hurts that you’re doing completely okay, without me.
- I wore your promise on my finger for one year. I’ll wear your name on my heart till I die. Because you were my boy, you were my only boy forever. – Coco J. Ginger
- And in the end, I said you would love me. We’re in the end and there’s only one of us here. – Dominic Riccitello
- The saddest part in life is saying goodbye to someone you wish to spend you lifetime with.
- I don’t know where I stand with him. And I don’t know what I mean to him. All I know is that every time I think of him, all I wanna do is be with him.
Sad quotes about relationships
Everyone around you will seem to be happy when you are feeling sad. It may seem like the odds aren’t in your favor.
When you’re on the receiving end of the pain, it would seem like no rainbow can be seen in your horizon. However, once you’ve cried out all the pain and all the tears, you need to get back out there and live your life regardless of the pain you have experienced.
- There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy. – Dante Alighieri
- Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others. – Stephen R. Covey
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.
- Just because we can’t be together doesn’t mean I don’t love you. – Cecily von Ziegesar
- You know, I’ll be loving you still. The nights are lonely, the days are so sad and I just keep thinking about the love that we had. And I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me. – Shayne Ward
- The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever. – Carroll Bryant
- The sweetest part of being a couple is sharing your life with someone else. But my life, evidently, had not been good enough to share. – Charlaine Harris
- I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It’s okay if you have to leave us. It’s okay if you want to stop fighting. – Gayle Forman
- Missing someone special to you bring tears to your eyes, but remembering all the good times you had brings a smile to your face. – Nishan Panwar
- It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure.
– Marquis de Sade
- I’ll love you even when I can’t”
“I’ll love you even when I shouldn’t – Colleen Hoover
- Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. – Dr. Seuss
- Sadness is also a kind of defence. – Ivo Andric
- You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you’re in the most sad, confused time of your life. You don’t fall in love with people because they’re fun. It just happens. – Kirsten Dunst
- Love lies in those unsent drafts in your mailbox. Sometimes you wonder whether things would have been different if you’d clicked ‘Send’. – Faraaz Kazi
- Some say it’s painful to wait for someone. Some say it’s painful to forget someone. But the worst pain comes when you don’t know whether to wait or forget.
- Everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.
- Life doesn’t hurt until you think about how much things have changed, who you’ve lost along the way, and how much of it was your fault.
– Jamila M. Allen
- The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain.
– Karl Marx
- It’s not that I wanna have it, it’s just that I wanna deserve it.
- Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever. – Lance Armstrong
- Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
– Joseph Campbell
- To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!
– Charlie Chaplin
- Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
– Khalil Gibran
Sad quotes about friends
People will be people and while there are kind people out there, there will also be ones who will take advantage of your goodness. The sad part is, these people sometimes are the ones whom you see as friends.
- Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.
- It’s the love that goes through the hardest trials and survives that’s worth having. – Katie Ahsley
- I felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. you wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone. – James Dashner
- The worst feeling is not being lonely. It’s when someone makes you feel special, then suddenly leaves you and you have to pretend you don’t mind at all. – Nishan Panwar
- I’m not even going to get mad anymore. I’m just going to learn to expect the lowest out of the people I thought the highest of.
- Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody. – Stephen Chbosky
- If you love someone, tell them because hearts are often broken by words left unspoken.
- Discovered who were my real friends. I just wished that wasn’t the way I had to discover.
- Be, as many now are, rich to yourself, poor to your friends. – Juvenal
- I learned that people leave. Even if they have promised a thousand times that they won’t.
- Whoever says Friendship is easy has obviously never had a true friend! – Bronwyn Polson
- My best friend… I feel like I’ve lost him forever. He was like my touchstone.
- Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go. – Hermann Hesse
- The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.
- Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. – Kahlil Gibran
- Friendship is but a name; fidelity but an empty name.– Ovid
- The courts of kings are full of men, empty of friends. – Seneca
- While fortune lasts you will see your friend’s face. – Petronius
- These days flattery wins friends, truth begets hatred. – Terence
Sad Quotes to help you through the bad days
There’s always a rainbow after a rain. Don’t just lose hope, don’t just stay in your room and refuse other peoples’ help. Stand up and walk again. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Here are some quotes to help you get through the day.
- You are supposed to dry my tears, not cause them….
- Pain has a crucial role in our lives because it acts as a learning lesson which makes us wiser and more adequate in dealing with life’s idiosyncrasies. When we engage with our suffering completely, we reach a place where pain transforms into acceptance and love.
- For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
- It’s sad to know I’m done. But looking back, I’ve got a lot of great memories. –Bonnie Blair
- It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. – Samuel Butler
- There is a time for departure, even when there’s no certain place to go. – Tennessee Williams
- Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities. – Patti Roberts
- Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for. – Mandy Hale
- The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.
– Anne Frank
- Hearts will never be made practical until they are made unbreakable. – L. Frank Baum
- A heartbreak is a blessing from God. It’s just his way of letting you realize he saved you from the wrong one.
- Never make someone a priority, when all you are to them is an option.
- There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream – whatever that dream might be. – Pearl Buck
- Never lose yourself while trying to hold on to someone who doesn’t care about losing you.
- Sometimes all you can do is smile. Move on with your day, hold back the tears and pretend you’re okay.
- We’re not close anymore, but I’ll be here if you need me.
- Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.
– Hermann Hesse
- It takes a minute to like someone, an hour to love someone, but to forget someone takes a lifetime.
- When you are in love and you get hurt, it is like a cut… it will heal, but there will always be a scar.
- If you suffer, thank God! – it is a sure sign that you are alive.
– Elbert Hubbard
- Pain adds rest unto pleasure, and teaches the luxury of health.
– Martin Farquhar Tupper
- A golden heart stopped beating, working hands went to rest. He broke many hearts to prove to us, he only takes the best.
- So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.
- It’s the love that goes through the hardest trials and survives that’s worth having.
The pain and the agony of being in pain isn’t a pleasant experience. Even when you have outlets to express your pain, there are still scars and cuts that are hidden deep and embedded in one’s soul. It makes things difficult.
It’s even harder when you don’t have people in your life to help you overcome the pain. Still, you can find comfort in words. Find comfort in the solace.
The quotes we have compiled here will be able to help you realize that you aren’t alone.
Smile today. Conquer today. Win one step at a time.
The Instagram Circus
– – – Do you love Pinterest too? Pin it!